reflexións......

reflexións......
"I shall never leave you nor forsake you" Hebrews 13:5

Friday, December 14, 2007

A Heart-y Touch by the LORD


Let me share with you a special spiritual experience during my battle with cancer.....

It happened on the 23rd August '07, the day before my major chest surgery. The objective of surgery was to remove the primary tumor at the chest area. This was my first major surgery and expected to be a 6-hour one. Previously at Mt Alvernia Hospital, I did a simple open biopsy and came out of operating theater with a breathing aid stuffed in my throat and nose. (I must say that that was the worst ever feeling one can ever imagine, I rather do a fear factor stunt for free!)

My mood was not right to begin with, so came the day I had to check into Burj al Arab (aka SGH) for standard protocols - body checks and pre-medications by the doctors and nurses. Worry, indecisive... were some of my feelings and backing out was one of my thoughts that night. I could still back out of the surgery, all I needed was an indemnity form. Then still awake at 1030pm (I should have been resting instead for the 730am surgery), Siang, my-bro-law, paid me a visit alone.

I was surprised as it was so late! We spoke about my fears for the surgery. In my mind there were many 'what ifs..' , 'what should I do..'. Siang offered a car ride for some fresh air...can-meh? It felt like Prison Break (Singapore version)!

It was then he said "Have Faith in the Lord for only Him can bring us to salvation and to trust in the Lord!" But I really didn't know the strength of my own faith. He asked if I believed Christ died on the cross to save us. Yes, of course! "Then it's a start! Believe in Him!" he said. We continued to chat about christianity and Siang prayed for me for strength and faith.

It was finally D-Day and D-Time, with the Lord's guidance, I braved into the operating theater and before the surgery began, I said a prayer and soon the anaestheia started to take effect......Zzz....

9 hours later at 630pm, the surgery ended. With God's grace, it was a success and no breathing aid this time! Praise the Lord!! (the only body reaction was a massive rash breakout caused by an allergic reaction to the 10 pints of blood infused during surgery) I stayed in the ICU for a day and HDU (High Dependency Unit) for a couple of days before I could go back to general ward. Recovery was swift and smooth. All these, I must say, was the work of the Lord!

The breaking news was that the tumor mass removed shown 95% of dead cells and the remaining 5% was inactive. It was certainly encouraging and I felt uplifted.

There was a funny incident during my stay... my neighbouring ward-mate was talking and singing in his sleep throughout and my was I amused! Was it this the work of the Lord to keep me cheerful throughout my stay?

Thought of the day: "All things are possible to him that believeth"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.