reflexións......

reflexións......
"I shall never leave you nor forsake you" Hebrews 13:5

Sunday, October 26, 2008

End of One Journey, Beginning of Another


For a man who was afraid of even a small cut on his finger, Kevin bravely fought the last few months in pain and great discomfort. This was then controlled by the administering of pain relieving medications.

My pain of seeing him not being able to sleep, often woken up by the aches and pains, is nothing in comparison with the pain he went through, both physical and emotional. However, most importantly, he knew that the Lord is with him at all times and it gave him much comfort and strength.

Although he was mostly feeling tired, he wanted and gathered his strength to spend his birthday, 18th October, at a Sentosa resort. Even when he was physically weak, he always wore a smile for me every time he looked at me.

This smile he reserved for me, he gave it to me for the last time on Sunday, 19th October. It was the sweetest smile ever as he started to wave his hands as if he was orchestrating a symphony.... I believe he could hear the beautiful music from Heaven. He then slowly laid back on the recliner chair and he could no longer respond.

The hospice nurse was already on her way while these were happening and she arrived soon after he lost responsiveness. As it was Kevin's wish to depart this world at the place he loved most, our home, she made sure he was in no pain and prepared me for his departure. Time stood still as I held his hands and looked at his beautiful face...

I believe he could hear me even if he could not respond physically. At times, tears will form around his eyes and that made me even more certain he knew I was talking to him. Upon Pastor's arrival, he read a verse from the bible and said a prayer for Kevin. The moment that was completed, Kevin struggled to open his right eye and he saw both pastor and myself. He then let out a sigh of physical relief as he departed and went home to a better place... into the arms of The Lord.

The Lord answered Kevin's prayers - to take him home in a peaceful and dignified manner where he will begin a new journey, one with no more suffering and pain.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith"
2 Tim 4:7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda,
Yours and Kevin's love, the way you chose to live life and humanity through it all is humbling.
You gave me a wonderful gift in getting to know you and share some of that precious time with you and I thank-you deeply for the lesson of living each day and being thankful for it.

Stay strong and my thoughts are with you for the sun to shine brighter each day.

Take care
Irene